City of Walker Releases Flood Awareness Tips as Part of Annual Campaign | recent news

Preparing now for a flood can take time and money.

But not preparing for a flood now can potentially cost a lot more time – and a lot more money – down the road.

As part of an annual campaign, the Town of Walker educates its residents about flooding throughout the month of March.

City officials aim to inspire more people to take flood preparedness into their own hands in the event of another natural disaster, such as in August 2016.

“Don’t wait for the next flood,” officials said.

Here’s what you can do to prepare for possible flooding, according to the City of Walker:

Know your flood risk and what you can do about it

Flooding in Walker is caused by three sources: backwaters from West Colyell Creek, Taylor Bayou, or flash flooding from excessive rainfall over a short period.

City officials said even slow-moving floodwaters can be dangerous, noting that a two-foot-deep flood “could knock a person down and float a car.”

Hurricanes can also cause major flooding, so having an evacuation plan and knowing how to get to higher ground is always recommended.

Even if your property is high enough that it hasn’t flooded recently or ever, it may still flood in the future “because the next flood could be worse,” officials said.

“If you’re in the floodplain, chances are your property will be damaged one day,” officials said.

Below are some tips to better protect yourself, according to the City of Walker.

Take out flood insurance

Even if your property is not within the mapped floodplain, city officials said you could be subject to local drainage flooding. Either way, officials said flood insurance can be a good investment because homeowners insurance policies don’t cover flood damage.

Officials urged people to contact their property insurance agent “to see which policy is right for you”.

“Don’t wait for the next flood,” officials said.

Do not walk or drive through flood waters

Flood waters can be more dangerous than they appear, and you should never attempt to cross them on foot or by car, even if they seem safe.

Chances are they are not.

“Currents are deceptive; six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet,” city officials said. “Do not go around the barriers, because the road or the bridges could be washed out.”

Officials said preparing for an emergency can reduce the risk of personal injury, loss of life and property damage and urged residents to know flood warning signs, create an emergency plan and prepare a disaster supply kit.

For more information on flood warnings and emergency preparedness, contact the Livingston Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (LOHSEP) or visit the the town of Walker.

Contact the city to protect your home or business

A person can protect their home or business from drainage and flooding problems by modifying the building, city officials said.

Some measures can be simple and “low cost”, while others can be more complex and expensive.

“Where flooding is shallow, measures such as small flood walls, regrading of the yard, and flood protection of the wall or utilities can be relatively inexpensive,” officials said. “Where the flooding is deep, you may need to raise your building.”

Postings in public libraries can provide more information about a building’s “flood protection,” officials said.

Upon request, the Department of Floodplain Administrators will visit a property to review its flooding issues and explain ways to stop flooding or prevent flood damage and financial relief programs.

For assistance, call the service at (225) 665-8893.

Check with the building department before building, altering, remodeling or filling in your property

There are times when you will need to check with the city building department before having any work done on your home or property.

And in some of those cases, that means you’ll need a permit.

“A permit is required for any type of development, including new construction, substantial improvements, placement of fill, paving or excavation to ensure a project complies with all regulations,” said city ​​officials.

“These bylaws are designed to protect your property from flood damage and to ensure that you don’t cause a drainage problem for neighbours.”

To find out how to obtain a permit, contact the permit office at (225) 665-8893.

Dumping Into Storm Sewers Leads To Flooding, So Don’t Do It

According to a municipal ordinance, it is illegal to dump debris or pollutants into streams, canals and drainage systems.

“The spillage into storm sewers is causing flooding,” city officials said. “Do not pour oil grease, pesticides or other pollutants down storm drains or into ditches and streams. Our waterways and wetlands help moderate flooding and provide habitat for fish and other wildlife that provide us with recreation or food. Protect them and their homes.

You must use stormwater protection/erosion control during construction and be sure to keep construction debris and pollutants out of storm drains.

The city also has a drainage maintenance program that can remove blockages from a drainage ditch or stream, such as downed trees and branches.

To report problems or for assistance, call the Department of Public Works (225) 665-2467.

Before you commit to buying a property, here are a few things you should do first

The first thing to do is check your flood risk, city officials said. Flood maps and flood protection references are available at the Walker Municipal Building. You can also visit the Buildings Department at City Hall to see if you are in a mapped floodplain.

If you are in a floodplain, the city can give you more information, such as past flooding issues or localized flooding issues in the area; whether there is a Map Amendment Letter (LOMA) and copies of elevation certificates on buildings erected in the floodplain; mandatory flood insurance requirements; flood depths; diversion channels; and information on wetlands.

But no matter the ownership, there is always a risk.

“Even if you are not in a floodplain, there may still be a risk of flooding,” city officials said.

You should also ask the real estate agent if the property requires flood insurance and ask the seller or neighbors if it has ever been flooded or is subject to other risks, such as sewer backups or sags.

You can also contact the building department about building and zoning regulations.

Per state law, every transfer of land or building must provide a flood risk disclosure statement to potential buyers.