Minister discusses disaster preparedness in Coimbatore

The Minister of Electricity, Prohibition and Excise, V. Senthil Balaji, inspected various parts of the city on Saturday and held discussions with officials regarding disaster preparedness in the district.

After inspecting the ongoing works at Valankulam, the minister said last year that there had been an overflow of the reservoir due to heavy rains and the areas around the reservoir had been flooded. The two outlet pipes were unable to drain excess water during the time of the disaster.

The state government has proposed to construct a canal from Sungam Junction to Sanganoor Pallam over a 2.1 km stretch at ₹9 crore to drain the excess water, the minister said.

He added that in Coimbatore district, heavy rains were recorded in the ghat area and the administration was monitoring the situation. Even during the period of excessive rainfall, there was no interruption in the power supply, he said.

As part of disaster preparedness, the Department of Electricity changed 35,000 utility poles and more than 1,33,000 poles were kept ready. He said Chief Minister MK Stalin had held virtual meetings with the district collector on the situation in the district.

Mr. Balaji also hinted that the Chief Minister is expected to attend government function and distribute various social measures to more than 82,000 beneficiaries on August 24 in the district.

Alongside the Minister, Coimbatore South MLA Vanathi Srinivasan, District Collector GS Sameeran, Mayor Kalpana Anandakumar and Company Commissioner Mr Prathap attended.